Each semester (Fall, Spring, and Summer), MICA offers undergraduates and lifelong learners opportunities to take courses in various areas of study including fine arts, design, art history and the humanities through our Community Education, Professional Practice, and Undergraduate Classes.
Through Community Education courses, taught by MICA’s excellent faculty, adult artists can build skills and develop confidence in a variety of fine art disciplines. Introductory courses provide the foundation for learning techniques and concepts while advanced courses encourage students to further explore their creativity.
A preview of our Summer 2020 Community Education courses include:
Drawing Courses & Two-Day Workshop
- Learning to Draw You will learn that you do not need some elusive gift, instead with time, commitment and practice that you will learn to draw the world the way only you can see it. Thursdays, starting May 21 / 6:30p - 9:45p
- Open Model Studio Session Sessions are offered for those who want to draw or paint from the live figure. Each section includes two models—one for quick poses for sketching and one for sustained drawing or painting. Sundays, starting June 7 / 2:00p - 5:00p
- Plein Air at Cylburn Arboretum Workshop Spend two Saturdays at Cylburn Arboretum observing vistas and gardens to expand and develop your skills, techniques, composition and personal direction. Saturdays: June 6 & 13/ 10a - 4p
Fiber Two-Day Workshops
- Handprint Textiles Workshop This two-day workshop focuses on using stencils and printing blocks for textiles, emphasizing repeat patterns for floorcloths and cloth. We will view and discuss early American use of patterns for the home and garments while creating a 24 x 36" floorcloth and a 2 yard printed cotton muslin. Saturdays: June 20 & 27 / 9:00a - 3:00p
- Resist Dyeing on Silk Workshop This two-day workshop starts with an introduction to acid dyes, silk fabrics and shibori techniques. You will then create and experiment with your own surface designs. Silk fabric yardage, scarves, dyes and auxiliary chemicals are provided as part of the class material cost. Saturdays: June 6 & 13 / 10:00a - 4:00p
Photography Two-Day Workshops
- CyanotypeWorkshop This two-day workshop will explore the possibilities of working with the Cyanotype process in both traditional and contemporary methods. You will learn to coat the emulsion onto paper and fabric and expose and develop prints. The class will make use the process to make photograms from found objects and also learn to create and print their own digital negatives. Saturdays: June 6 & 13 / 11:00a - 4:00p
Design professionals can advance their knowledge through MICA’s Professional Practice courses in the areas of graphic design, web design, advertising, and creative entrepreneurship. Real-world issues are discussed and innovative projects are assigned to provide a well-rounded, meaningful experience aimed at preparing students for challenges that are faced in art and design careers.
A preview of our Summer 2020 Professional Practice workshop and courses include:
- Video Editing for Social Media This two-day workshop will cover the best practices for video editing using Adobe Premiere. The class will cover formats, combine images, video clips, telling a short story, special effects, and how to combine type and sound successfully. Saturdays: August 1 & 8 / 10:00a - 4:00p
- Information Visualization Basics This ONLINE course will explore the types of powerful, data-driven visual narratives that are rising in demand across industries. Students will be introduced to “big data” and various design strategies to effectively distill complex information through a compelling visual narrative. Tuesdays: starting June 2 / 7:30p - 10:00p
Each winter & summer, the Undergraduate courses are designated as three-credit classes and are open to MICA undergraduates and all serious-minded students, including community education students.
MICA Open Studies offers a rich and varied schedule for anyone interested in pursuing the study of art and design at MICA. Download our Open Studies Catalog (PDF) to explore our course offerings.